Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Life is a Learning Stairway - 9th March 2010

Yeah~ Its finally over....

FYI
Yesterday was ALTERA Toastmaster's club first International Speech and Table Topic contest. Being one of the CC in our club, I was delibrately forced to participated as one of the contestant in the International Speech contest. Well, I do enjoy giving speeches, but sometimes its just bothers me if I'm busy and I can't prepare myself or perform as I want to... I wanted to quit all these while before the contest... but after the contest, guess what? I was actually grateful for joining the contest!!
WHY? There are few things I've learnt throughout the process. These are specifically for me. item 1 is the one thing i learn't this time around.

1) Your speech should be fully written by yourself. The speaker should be the Author!! Don't Cheat! the end results would not be as good as it were yours. I've experience it myself and I hope to give a true speech which meets my own expectation someday! Stay tune for my first AC assignment!! :)

2) Don't get over excited, talk slowly and body language should be just nice, too much ain't good at all. This is my personal mistake, most people have inadequate body language, but for me its just the other way around.

3) Hand gestures should be used appropriately. Don't create sound when using hand gestures as this will distract audience attention as well as annoy them. My bad habit of claping hands when giving out speeches.. probably because I was nervous?

4) Be prepared!! Do try to give your speech in front of the mirror so that you can know how you look like when you are giving the speech and if your hand gestures are appropriate! Always time yourself, for me, trial for slower that actual speeches. Wonder why??? maybe I'm too nervous?!?
Special Thanks to the committee for organizing this event. It gave us a platform to learn and we enjoyed ourself very much at the same time!

Here is a group photo of the event.... I'm the Runner Up (2nd place), happy with the results indeed!! :)

~till then......

4 comments:

jeanne said...

Good job there dear. heard many good comments about it.. bravo!!

too bad i missed it though :(
(pst, catch up sometime somewhere, shall we? )

~ShEriNe~ said...

Thanks dear for the compliment....still lots of room of improvement...
Yeap.. would love to catch up with you... its been a long time since.... When are you coming back pg again??

jeanne said...

next trip could be may or june.
will ping you by then yea... =)

jeanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com